any more chairs?

Carolyn Quintero cqcqcq1 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 30 21:40:59 UTC 2003

Rory wrote:
Just one quibble here.  As Bob and I argued last night, the
MO-NI is for /moN-hniN/, "you walk".  So it should read:
Friend, we make the wish that you walk in peace/good health, etc.

CQ:
Yes, I like this rendering in English.

MO-NI is a possible rendering for OS maNdhiN' where the nasal quality has
spread to the dh.  One hears a few of these in certain Osages' speech.  If
someone wrote this in a version of Osage, this maNdhiN is the imperative
(uninflected) or merely the ininflected form, which is a form that could be
used optionally (alternative to the inflected form in this construction).
I'd sort of lean to an imperative.  Like "We make the wish: that you walk in
peace".

But it could be as you say, inflected for 2s in Kaw with hn (is that right
for Kaw?).  In Osage 2s is maNs^ciN' so it's clearly not that!  If we want
it not to be Osage, this is the best choice, I guess.

Any more chairs around? This was fun.
Carolyn