Our wish

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Jul 31 14:59:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Rory M Larson wrote:
> What I don't understand now is why the compound /koN'dha/
> form comes out as an -a stem.  Perhaps Bob or John can
> shed light on this.

Basically, it's just a different stem, *ra whereas 'to think' is
*DEMONSTRATIVE=ye.  The *ra stem only occurs, that I know of, in the
compound *kuN=ra (both parts inflected in Dhegiha).  The kuN stem (the
first part of *kuN=ra) is unique in Dhegiha in having a first person in k-
(*h-kuN or *k-kuN) as opposed to the expected p-, as in ppaghe 'I make' <
stem gaghe.

The *kuN (OP gaN) stem does compound with 'to think', too, but i haven't
had time to look into the details yet.