taku- vs. taku-

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Jul 31 15:10:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Wablenica wrote:
> I wonder whether L./D.
>
> ta'ku-yA, to have/use smt for/as smt,
> and
> taku'-yA, to have smb as some/which? relative
>
> are etymologically different words?
>
> At least Ella Deloria considered taku'yA a derivative from ta'ku,
> what/something.

I think there's the same form, presumably causatives of taku.  The
comparable form in Omaha-Ponca is e=dhe '(to be a) relative' < *e 'it, the
aforesaid' + CAUSATIVE.  Omaha-Ponca, like Dakota, has a possessive
construction for kin formed by applying the causative to the kinterm stem.
At least one textual example I have seen in Dorsey seems to suggest that
the construction applies in OP for cases of "ostensive" kin, or
individuals (families, actually) adopted through the pipe-dance ceremony.
This is also apparent in forms like iNdadi=dhe '[Federal tribal] agent' <
'father', ttigaN=dhe 'President, Federal official' < 'grandfather'.
khage=dhe 'friend' <? 'little brother'.  In Winnebago the regular pattern
of kinship possessive is the causative, though relicts of the older system
exist.

JEK