any more chairs?

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jul 31 18:25:27 UTC 2003

>>   KinoN'noNge aniN' a?
>>   Do you have (possess) a car?
>>
>>   KinoN'noNge (kHe) ashniN' a?
>>   Do you have (your) car (along with you)?

> Anything is possible, I guess, but I suspect the
> article is the critical factor here.

I don't think that was the case.  She went out of
her way to explain this to me, and reassured me
repeatedly of the distinction.  The implication of
the second example (we're talking about a real,
known car) tends to force the article, but I'm
quite sure the primary distinction was intended to
be made by the verb.

Again, I don't know how general this is.  It may
well be a family dialect or an ideolect.  I know
that I myself have come up with definable words of
my own in English that I later find no dictionary
recognizes.

Mark and I talked to the speakers last night.  I
ran this by them for /moNdhiN/.  They recognized
the you- form in both versions: /moNniN/ and
/moNshniN/.  They weren't able to establish a
semantic difference that they could translate into
English, but they puzzled over it a bit in a way
that suggested there might be one.  I've asked
them to think it over and we'll check back with
them later.

Rory

                      Koontz John E
                      <John.Koontz at colorad        To:       siouan at lists.colorado.edu
                      o.edu>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  Re: any more chairs?
                      owner-siouan at lists.c
                      olorado.edu

                      07/31/2003 11:30 AM
                      Please respond to
                      siouan

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Rory M Larson wrote:
> I believe Bob said that Kaw had hn for 2s, and that is the
> way it is in OP.  Also, the La Flesche Osage dictionary
> conjugates 2s as moN-ni.

An example of an Omahaism in LaFlesche.