taku- vs. taku-

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Jul 31 18:43:54 UTC 2003

The 'have as a relation' *-re certainly shares with the causative the
epenthetic -r- and consequent regular pronominal prefixes, i.e., not the
"Y-stem" or "*R-stem" prefixes.  So it is either polysemous or homophonous
with the causative.  Morphological causatives have suus and reflexive forms
(often indicating permission or acquiescence of the actor).  Has anyone
tried to elicit these related forms in sentences where they would signal
relation rather than causation?  That might provide a test.

Bob