Mandan Place Names

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Jul 21 04:53:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Louis Garcia wrote:
> I saw this 'paper' listed in the archives.
>
> Carter, R. T. Jr. "Maximilians Ruture Vocabulary: Philogical Evidence
> and Mandan Phonology".  Proceedings from the 1990 Mid-America
> Linguistics Conference. University of Kansas 1991.
>
> Can any tell me if Mr. Carter discusses Mandan place names? I tried to
> borrow this publication through Inter-Library Loan but they can't seem
> to find anyone who has a copy. If he does discuss places names - can
> some one please send me a copy?

Louis, I don't think I can help with this directly.  I am missing one or
two of the MidAmerica Conference Proceedings in which some Siouan and
Caddoan Conference papers were published, and all Proceedings are in the
unpacked "journals" boxes since my last move.  I am, however, very
determined that this will be my last move for a very long time, if I have
anythign to say about it.

However, I do know that MALC proceedings are distributed by the University
that sponsored the particular meeting in question, and it loks like that
would be the U of Kansas.  So I would write to the Department of
Linguistics at the University of Kansas - can probably find email contact
stuff at their web site, for that matter - and ask if they have a copy for
sale.  Most likely they do, though I can't promise anything.  It might
take a bit of time and effort to get them to locate the leftover, but
maybe not.  Or try ILL with this information.  MALC is no where near as
prestigious as CLS or BLS or even NELS and they don't have a central
repository for proceedings, and libraries don't always feel that having
copies of the proceedings of even these is worthwhile, but the papers
should be available somewhere.

Carter left the list when he left South Dakota.  I have the impresion he
might be in China now, though I'm not absolutely positive.  He's not
currently on the list.

My recollection of the paper - from hearing it delivered - is that it
doesn't deal with placenames at all, though it might logically mention
some.  Instead it concentrates on differences noted by Maximillien and
some similarities with the variant forms in Hollow's dictionary.

JEK