Vote for Osage!

Carolyn Quintero cqcqcq1 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 31 20:11:31 UTC 2003

A good summary!  I think it's all Osage:-).

It's strange, though, that someone would write out the o'kas^e'iNke 'trouble
none' as two separate words, since it's always together with the dh elided
as I've written it here. At least nowadays and in every rendition I've ever
heard spoken. (But everyone knows that it "really" is made up of the two
separate words). The careful two-word approach reflects either an earlier
speech pattern, or someone trying to be very correct, or ---copying words
out of a dictionary!

Doesn't match too well with my idea of maNiN being maNdhiN 'walk, go forth',
that is to say if anyone were so careful to write the o'kas^e'iNke rather
formally, then it's odd that the person would not be so careful of the
latter.  Unless it was LF who erroneously thought he was representing very
standard Osage with maNiN'?

Carolyn