Siouan and Caddoan Conference

Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
Wed Jun 11 14:23:12 UTC 2003

The Siouan and Caddoan conference IS on.  Thanks, John, for reminding us
all to start thinking about it.  SSILA website says abstracts should be
sent to John Boyle by July 3, but not much detail beyond that... was
anything ever decided about housing, conference location, exact date (Aug
8-9?  8-10?), etc.?

The proposed syntax pre-session, on the other hand, has apparently
shrivelled up and vanished -- too little enthusiasm for doing two papers, I
guess.    I'm not up for writing two papers at this point myself.  But I
hate to see it completely dropped...  Anyone up for a VERY informal syntax
roundtable*, say, the afternoon before the meeting?  Or even as part of the
meeting?  I found the Boulder discussions very stimulating, would love to
do something like that again, perhaps with even less structure... whoever
is interested could just bring problematic data or ideas and let the group
have at it, or several of us could agree on a topic to discuss and think
about it a little beforehand, but without making formal presentations???
On the other hand, I guess we can also just go down to the local bar and
draw tree diagrams on our napkins without having it actually written into
the program of the meeting.

If there's interest, I'd be willing to coordinate some kind of discussion.
Catherine

* Interpret with "very informal" modifying "roundtable," of course.  I
wouldn't want to rule out formal syntax...