Siouan and Caddoan Conference

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Jun 11 17:03:06 UTC 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC wrote:
> The Siouan and Caddoan conference IS on.  Thanks, John, for reminding us
> all to start thinking about it.  SSILA website says abstracts should be
> sent to John Boyle by July 3, but not much detail beyond that... was
> anything ever decided about housing, conference location, exact date (Aug
> 8-9?  8-10?), etc.?

Ah, I was hoping somebody would remind where to look.  SSILA Web site is
at http://www.ssila.org and then go to Upcoming Events and then Siouan and
Caddoan Languages Conference.  The actual address of that page appears to
be http://wings.buffalo.edu/linguistics/ssila/SACCweb/SACC.htm, though the
main site URL is all that shows in the address field of the browser.
Mainly we are referred implicitly to the LSA materials, though there's no
link.

For the LSA Summer Meeting, see http://www.lsadc.org (plain old lsa.org is
the Louisiana Sheriffs' Association, of course) and the follow links, or
go to http://lsa2003.lin.msu.edu/ directly.

I'm guessing that housing arrangements for the LSA Summer Institute might
apply to us.  In particular, the housing page lists some hotels and the
travel page looks useful.  What's the scale of the conference area?
Looks like it's about 3 or 4 miles from the airport.  In regard to my
guess, I don't see anything about people attending small associated
meetings.  I'm certain we must not have to register as students or
affiliates, but how much of a registration do we have to fill out and what
fees, etc., do we have to pay?  Will "foreign attendees" have to wear
those little cattle ear-tags with their visa number and a DNA code stamped
on them?  (I'm just kidding - you only have to have it clipped to your
lapel. :-{=])

We are listed as an event.

> The proposed syntax pre-session, on the other hand, has apparently
> shrivelled up and vanished -- too little enthusiasm for doing two papers, I
> guess.    I'm not up for writing two papers at this point myself.  But I
> hate to see it completely dropped...  Anyone up for a VERY informal syntax
> roundtable*, say, the afternoon before the meeting?  Or even as part of the
> meeting?  I found the Boulder discussions very stimulating, would love to
> do something like that again, perhaps with even less structure... whoever
> is interested could just bring problematic data or ideas and let the group
> have at it, or several of us could agree on a topic to discuss and think
> about it a little beforehand, but without making formal presentations???
> On the other hand, I guess we can also just go down to the local bar and
> draw tree diagrams on our napkins without having it actually written into
> the program of the meeting.

These all seem like reasonable alternatives to me.  I'd be willing to
participate in informal discussions.