Dhegiha Plurals & the microfilms.

Anthony Grant Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 15 21:28:25 UTC 2003

Rory et al:

The 'Dr Murray' is the author of one of the earliest Osage vocabularies.
It's not William Vans Murray, who got a vocab of Choptank Algonquian which
has often been taken as Nanticoke.  I'm not sure if it's the Osage
vocabulary which occupies a single page in Schoolcraft's thuge book.  The
earliest Osage vocabulary I know of is by John Bradbury, a naturalist from
Stalybridge in Cheshire, England, who collected it c. 1800, at a time whe
hewas staying with the Spanish furtrader Manuel Lisa . It's found in
Bradbury's book 'Travels in the Interior of America', which was repirnted in
the 1960s.  Bradbury was no James Owen Dorsey in terms of linguistic skill,
but he was a better phonetician than Dr Murray.

Anthony Grant