epenthetic glide.

rankin rankin at ku.edu
Mon Jun 16 13:50:23 UTC 2003

Thanks to Rory for the additional info on the
microfilms.  I didn't have a chance to look at all of
them as it took me the better part of an hour during my
visit to figure out how to work the machine.  :-)

As John points out, lots of western hemisphere
languages simply use a tap or flap to separate vowels
in hiatus.  There's no need to go through the phonetic
[y] stage.  It is possible that Common Siouan /r/ is or
was phonetically 'dh'.  Its reflexes turn up as a host
of (mostly) dental liquid sounds, dh, r, n, l, t, and
even y in sundry languages and dialects.  The important
thing isn't so much its precise phonetic reality but
what it contrasts with.

I'll check Giulia's Tutelo for the -(k)ire suffix.