epenthetic glide.

Linda Cumberland lcumberl at indiana.edu
Sun Jun 22 03:11:40 UTC 2003

For the sake of comparison I'll throw this in. I checked this Lakhota
anomaly for Assiniboine and found the regular form 'kicag^a', i.e., no
aspiration:

waxpe mijijag^a  'he made tea for me'

It would be interesting to know whether aspiration was introduced into
the Lakhota form or if Assiniboine leveled the anomaly. Jundging from
David's comments I'd guess the latter. I have found several instances
where Lakhota irregularities are regular in Assiniboine.  This is one
case, another (which has nothing to do with epenthetic glides, but
supports my growing sense that there has been a lot of leveling in
Asb) is the paradigm for yutA 'eat', which is a completely regular
y-stem in Assiniboine (note: Asb does not ablaut word finally):

Asb:                        Lak:

1s   mnuta                  wate
2s   nuta                   yate
3s   yuta                   yute
1pl  uNyutapi               uNyuta pi
2pl  nutapi                 yata pi
3pl  yutapi                 yuta pi

Linda
-------------------

> Sorry to be coming in to this discussion late (and not to have read
the
> rest of of it yet -- maybe this is superfluous).  I've been doing
Wichita
> in Anadarko for the past couple of weeks.
>
> I think it's relevnat to remind you of my little blurb in the issue
of
> IJAL that was dedicated to Eric Hamp (October 1985).  My concern was
> figure out why the suus form of the Lakhota verb "kaga" 'make' has
an
> irregular aspirated "ch" for the "k" (kichaga, not the expected
kicaga).
> What's relevant here is that this aspirated "ch" reflects PMV *y,
and
> the *y has to have been an epenthetic element after deletion of the
> initial "k"  of the verb.  I don't know what the relative
chronologies
> would be, but it is NOT the case that all epenthetic situations seem
to go
> back to *r.
>
> David S. Rood
> Dept. of Linguistics
> Univ. of Colorado
> 295 UCB
> Boulder, CO 80309-0295
> USA
> rood at colorado.edu
>
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Rory M Larson wrote:
>

> > John wrote:
> > > Actually, it seems likely that the -y- stage was in
Proto-Mississippi