epenthetic glide.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 24 06:37:37 UTC 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Linda Cumberland wrote:
> It would be interesting to know whether aspiration was introduced into
> the Lakhota form or if Assiniboine leveled the anomaly. Jundging from
> David's comments I'd guess the latter.

I'd argue the same even deriving the aspiration from *hk representing
syncopated *k(i)-k... in *ki-k(i)-kaghA

> I have found several instances where Lakhota irregularities are
> regular in Assiniboine.  This is one case, another (which has nothing
> to do with epenthetic glides, but supports my growing sense that there
> has been a lot of leveling in Asb) is the paradigm for yutA 'eat',
> which is a completely regular y-stem in Assiniboine (note: Asb does
> not ablaut word finally):
>
> Asb:                        Lak:
>
> 1s   mnuta                  wate
> 2s   nuta                   yate
> 3s   yuta                   yute
> 1pl  uNyutapi               uNyuta pi
> 2pl  nutapi                 yata pi
> 3pl  yutapi                 yuta pi

I suspect this also leveled.  As I recall Winnebago has

1 haac^  < *wa-te
2 raac^  < *ra-te
3 ruuc^  < *rute

However, Dhegiha as a whole simply loses this suppletive stem for 'eat'.
Though that is a case of negative evidence, it seems plausible that part
of the explanation for the loss is the irregularity of this stem.

Isn't the pattern rounded out with wotA for the detransitivized stem?

JEK