Da -c^haghA < *k-kaghE or *-y-aghE (was RE: glides, etc.)

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Jun 24 17:08:53 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Koontz John E
To: Siouan List
Sent: 6/23/2003 4:49 AM
Subject: Da -c^haghA < *k-kaghE or *-y-aghE (was RE: glides, etc.)

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Rankin, Robert L wrote:

(Basic stem) > Lak.   kagha    would = Omaha gaghe
(Suus stem?) > Assin. gijagha  would = Omaha gigaghe assuming it exists.
(Suus stem)  > Lak.   kichagha would = Omaha giaghe (dative stem)

Or it might be Omaha gikkaghe 'to make one's own' (suus stem).  OP
*gigaghe doesn't exist, except as the underlying form of the dative
stem.

AND the reconstructed form for the OM dative, though, so ultimately we have
to deal with the -g- as part of the problem.  It's "there"; you just can't
see it.  :-)

I defer to most of John's paradigmatic analyses/reconstructions, as he's
done quite a lot of this for a variety of meetings.

I have comments on the *r/*R distinction in the paper I did on the
comparative method for the handbook of Hist. Ling.  Basically, it's one of
those "you can nearly get rid of it" cases familiar from Indo-European.