epenthetic glide.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 24 17:46:41 UTC 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, ROOD DAVID S wrote:
> 	This one is slightly more regular, but with variation from speaker
> to speaker.  I usually hear wowate, woyate, wote, wo'uNyutapi, but
> Buechel's grammar gives wawate, wayate, wote, wauNyutapi (with wauNtapi in
> parentheses -- I assume the absence of the glottal stop in the Buechel
> citations won't puzzle anyone; he simply didn't write it between vowels).
> There are a number of other words that indicate an old rule converting ayu
> to o, which explains the third person form, but the others are clearly
> re-analyzed from that or re-derived from the transitive forms.

OK, I was wondering where o in wote came from.  I was trying to decide if
wote involved the o-locative or somehting.  But if wo- < wayu-, that
suggests that wo- occurs potentially with all yu-instrumental verbs,
doesn't it?  I was wondering if there was something special about this
verb, like maybe an undelrying stem *utA.

JEK