Colors in Dakota

Violet Catches napshawin at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 15:52:19 UTC 2003

FOR ALL ITS WORTH
>Can anyone tell me how or why the color green (To) is now the color blue?
In Lakxota txo covers the blue of the sky and water
it also covers the grass and leaves of summer time
we make a distinction  between them by using maxpiya txo for blue
and makxa txo for green
Omaha and Hochunk do the same thing
Ex: Watowi for the month of May.
Wozhupi Wi is May for me, it is actually the moon and a certain moon when to
plant or so my grandmother told me.
>Also why sometimes you will see the color brown (gi) translated as yellow?
Ex: Nakpagi for Yellow Ear. Nakpagxi is a horse, a paint....
>Toksta ake, toksha akhe!
Violet Catches emaciyapi, maLakxota, na otxoka wowaglake ki he Lakxoliwaye.