Colors in Dakota -Duta

Linda Cumberland lcumberl at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 25 23:32:48 UTC 2003

My Assiniboine consultants say -nuta 'red' is only used in names.
Examples are wiNyaNnuta 'Red Woman", xexaka nuta 'Red Elk'. However,
one word for 'turkey' is paxnuta 'red snot', but that's the only
non-name Assiniboine word I have, so -nuta seems to be only productive
in naming.

Then there is the town of Sintaluta, SK where Carry The Kettle Reserve
is, which is said to refer to the red tail of the fox, although it
isn't an Assiniboine word and the origin of the name is murky.

Friends of mine have a drum group called Maza Duta 'Red Iron', named
for one of the last headmen of the Pheasant Rump Band (Saksatchewan),
of whom they are all descendants. The /d/ of Maza Duta is a mystery,
too, except that many speakers post-occlude their n's to the point
that /n/ has frequently been recorded over the past century and a half
as [nd], so maybe it was -nduta and got written down as -duta - and
who at Pheasant Rump today would know the difference, since the only
remaining fluent speaker over there - and the only one old enough to
remember - has long since lost the heart to speak Assiniboine at all.

For what it's worth,

Linda