Colors in Dakota -Duta

Linda Cumberland lcumberl at indiana.edu
Wed Mar 26 21:33:26 UTC 2003

Right - phaxni is 'snot' pha-xni 'head' + 'sore'(although I rather
like "nasty bodily secretion").  Compare to paxni-thaNka 'turkey'
(lit: 'big snot').  So, yeah, phaxni + nuta --> phaxnuta, with what I
assumed to be some kind of morpheme overlap, although I haven't
thought much about why. (Sorry for leaving out the h's before - I've
been wafting back and forth between orthographies and I lose track
sometimes. and by the way, Assiniboine doesn't velarize the aspiration
on stops, so Lak. pxa is Asb. pha). -L
-------------------
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Linda Cumberland wrote:
> > My Assiniboine consultants say -nuta 'red' is only used in names.
> > Examples are wiNyaNnuta 'Red Woman", xexaka nuta 'Red Elk'.
However,
> > one word for 'turkey' is paxnuta 'red snot', but that's the only
> > non-name Assiniboine word I have, so -nuta seems to be only
productive
> > in naming.
>
> Which part of this last means 'red' and which part 'snot'?  From
Omaha