Affrication Diminutive Marker (Re: butterfly)

Kathleen Shea kdshea at ku.edu
Mon Nov 3 19:40:09 UTC 2003

I've found that it's true that speakers of Ponca tend to use both the
dental-stop variant and the affricated variant of words interchangeably or
recognize only one as the "real" form.  However, I have noticed that there's
some productive use of the distinction to create new vocabulary.  I have
only one consultant right now, Uncle Parrish Williams--and I really need to
check with more speakers--but he firmly maintains that ttu means 'blue' and
c^c^u means 'green.'  He says that maNs^c^iNge is 'cottontail' (maNs^tiska
'jack rabbit'--with oral, not nasal i) and that maNs^tiNge is the general
word for 'rabbit.'  He flatly rejects wathis^ka 'creek, brook' in favor of
wac^his^ka.  However, he says that waxc^a ~waxta are "about the same" and
both mean 'flower, fruit,' although I thought that one time he said one
meant 'flower' and the other 'fruit.'  Similarly, he once said there is a
difference in gradation between the forms of the intensifier xc^i and xti
'very, real,' but, when I last asked, he
said they were pretty much the same.  In Ponca, du'ba 'some' (contrasting
with duu'ba 'four,' by the way, which has a long vowel) and j^uba 'few' are
distinct in their meanings.  The uncomfortable homophony that John mentions
between wac^hi'gaag^e 'to dance' and c^hi 'to have sex with' is often
avoided in Ponca by substitution with the more "polite" term naNthe 'to
dance' (literally, 'to kick').

It's also true that Ponca makes use of affrication of dental stops for a
diminuative effect, or "baby talk" (what John calls "grandmother speech"),
as in "Dha?e'c^hewadhe!" 'You poor thing!' (said to a child) compared to
"Dha?e'thewadhe!" (said to an adult), with the same meaning.  This brings to
mind a "xuube" joke that I was told:

A woman sees a little nest of baby mice and says to the other people nearby,
"J^u'ama j^NaN'baia!" ("Du'ama
daNaN'baia!") 'Look at these!'  To which her husband replies, "J^am!"
'Damn!'

Kathy