iron/ metal

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Nov 3 19:48:37 UTC 2003

> I remember Victor Golla (in California, but perhaps not the indivudual
Bob refers to) asking about the Siouan terms.  I gather they somewhat
resemble terms of similar reference in Athabascan languages, but I don't
know the details.

Yes, I was thinking about Victor's SSILA paper in 1997 or so.  Not only
did the metal terms in Siouan resemble others in North America, they
resembled those found in Uralic and other Old World language families.
He wasn't sure what to make of it and neither am I.  But I wouldn't rule
out migration of the term across the Bering Strait; it would just have
to be proved, that's all.  I have his handout around here somewhere, but
if you could see the piles of paper in my office, you wouldn't expect me
to be able to find it.  :=)