iron/ metal [and other loans and calques]

BARudes at aol.com BARudes at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 22:29:24 UTC 2003

I would be somewhat cautious about Siebert's suggestions. For example,
Catawba tinde 'bluejay', the form that Siebert recorded, is from earlier tine, the
form recorded by Raven I. McDavid, and shows expected partial denasalization of
/n/ before an oral vowel. Thus, Catawba tine (> tinde) is unlikely to come
from PA *tiintiiwa. More likely, the Catawba and the PA form reflect initia
ti(:)n- in imitation of the call of the bluejay, as Pam suggests.

Blair