iron/ metal [and other loans and calques]

Henning Garvin hhgarvin at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 01:26:44 UTC 2003

>Thanks, I appreciate the correction!  I should have said that the only
>cases I could (vaguely) recall in conjunction with Oneota and other
>Mississippian sites were small "ornamental" items.  I have the impression
>that Old Copper Complex is older, though I'm really fairly ignorant of it
>- you don't happen to recall the dates and approximate area, do you?

>>From what I can remember (please don't let one of my former archaeology
professors read this:) the old copper complex is dated from 6000-3000 BP,
placing it in the archaic period in Midwestern prehistory. I should have
also written, however, that the use of copper for utilitarian goods declined
in the latter portion of the arcahic.  It was used and apparently highly
valued in the massive exchange networks that had been established at the end
of the arcahic, but mainly in the form of jewelry.  So you are absolutely
right that the Oneota and Mississippian periods are rather sparse as far as
copper goods go.

The origin of Oneota was still a matter of debate when I was last up on the
issue.  Quite heated, if I remember correctly.