iron/ metal [and other loans and calques]

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Nov 4 01:42:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Henning Garvin wrote:
> The origin of Oneota was still a matter of debate when I was last up on
> the issue.  Quite heated, if I remember correctly.

As far as I know, Oneota is pretty controversial all around - how it
originated, how it might or might not map to historical groups (especially
everyone but the Ioway), and occasionally what manifestations are actually
Oneota.  The last time I was trying seriously to keep track they had
(apparently) just decided that they had been far too slack in classifying
materials and sites into phases and had started over again - this time
apparently without occasionally publishing an overall survey of the
system ...

It was a lot like trying to find out about Proto-Siouan.