Borrowed Names in Omaha-Ponca

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Nov 17 16:33:53 UTC 2003

> Dhe'(e)ghe is a doublet of ne'(e)ghe.  Both are glossed 'kettle' in the
> Dorsey texts, though ne'(e)ghe appears also in the character name
> Tte-ne'ghe 'Buffalo Bladder', and Swetland glosses ne'(e)ghe as 'water
> vessel; bladder; bucket; pail; pot'.  He doesn't list dhe'(e)ghe.

The Dorsey dictionary distinguishes these forms as
dialectal within OP: dhe'(e)ghe is Ponka, and ne'(e)ghe
is Omaha.  Our Omaha speakers use nE'ghe.  (I'm not
sure about length, but they were pretty firm in
correcting me when I was trying to say ne'ghe; the
first vowel is distinct from the standard /e/, and
I hear it as /E/ as in 'neck'.  Possibly the /e/ vs.
/E/ distinction is equivalent to short vs. long /e/
though.)  Stabler & Swetland are specifically Omaha,
not OP like Dorsey, so they should only have the
ne'(e)ghe form.  Kathleen, how is it in Ponka?

Rory