Borrowed Names in Omaha-Ponca

Kathleen Shea kdshea at ku.edu
Tue Nov 18 04:14:26 UTC 2003

I haven't kept up with the latest Siouan list postings, but I'll reply to
Rory's question.  I have /ne(e)'ghe/ 'bladder, bucket,' with /n/.  In my
first recording, I wrote [ne?ghe] (with a rising-falling contour pitch over
the first vowel, which would indicate a long vowel) 'bladder' and [ne'ghe]
'bucket.'  However, after asking again later, I was told that the two words
have the same pronunciation.  I assume that animal bladders were probably
used as buckets, to haul liquids, at one time, so this is probably one word.
I tend to think the stressed vowel is short in this case.

We've commented before on the interchangeability of /dh/ and /n/ in some
Omaha-Ponca words, and I think that it must happen fairly often.  I've
noticed it in /gasaN'dhiN/ 'tomorrow,' /is^tiN'nikhe/ 'trickster, monkey,'
and some others, where Ponca will have one form of the word and Omaha the
other.  (I'm giving the Ponca pronunciation, as far as I know, here.)

Kathy