Sac & Fox term

Henning Garvin hhgarvin at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:42:53 UTC 2003

>>From my Ojibwe class I know 'Anishinaabe' is the term they (Ojibwe or
Anishinaabe) use for themselves.  'Anishinaabemo' refers to their language.

I called a relative of mine who is from Tama.  His mother is Mesquakie and
he is a native speaker of that language.  He said they, in Iowa, call
themselves 'Meskuaaki' which he roughly translated as people of the red
earth.  (I'm not sure on the spelling of this word, I used the standard
Ojibwe method of spelling for this word.)

He told me he was pretty sure that the Sac and Fox from Oklahoma refer to
themselves as Zaagi, which roughly means people of the yellow earth.  Again,
I'm not entirely sure I have given the best spelling as I have used Ojibwe
orthographical conventions.

Henning Garvin
Linguistic research
Ho-Chunk Nation Language Division