Dances with Wolves.

John Kyle jkyle at ku.edu
Sat Nov 29 19:26:48 UTC 2003

I had the chance to watch "Dances with Wolves" when it first came out on
video (early 90's) with a 72 year old Lakhota speaker.  In addition to
dozing off through out the movie he commented that the actors talked 'liked
children'.  I imagine this is due to the actors not being native speakers of
Lakhota.  Another movie with an authentic Lakhota speaker is "Thunderheart"
with Val Kilmer (also filmed in South Dakota).  Unfortunately, the Lakhota
speaker, Chief Ted Thin Elk, was hit by a car and died several months after
the movie was released.  It's not a bad movie and is worth seeing if only
for the Lakhota.

John Kyle
jkyle at ku.edu