Fw: Delivery Notification: Delivery has timed out and failed (fwd)

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Nov 30 22:38:30 UTC 2003

Sorry if anybody else tried to reach any of us at
KU.  The IMAP server here was hopelessly screwed
up most of last week.  I could neither send nor
receive mail much of the time.  They said it was
"too much spam".  I suspect that, as usual, it was
"too many tenured geeks" who learned their trade
on VAX, IBM, etc. mainframes and have never
"upgraded" that knowledge.  :-)

The Ioway-Otoe form depends on whether *tp
metathesizes to *pt > hd like *tk > kt, etc.  I
didn't have applicable forms that would tell me if
*tp and *tk behave alike.  I suppose 'drink' would
be a place to start verifying.

Bob

> Somehow this failed to get through, though I
think others since have.
> Maybe the server is down and the others are
still retrying.

> This report relates to a message you sent with
the following header fields:

>   Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:11:31 -0700 (MST)
>   From: Koontz John E <John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU>
>   To: "R. Rankin" <rankin at KU.EDU>
>   Subject: Re: Groin
>
> Your message is being returned; it has been
enqueued and undeliverable for
> 1 day to the following recipients:
>
>   Recipient address: kdshea at KU.EDU
>   Reason: unable to deliver this message after 1
day
>   Recipient address: rankin at KU.EDU
>   Reason: unable to deliver this message after 1
day

> The actual message I tried to send:
>
> > So, IO should have *ht, leading to hd ~ hj^,
depending on the following
> > vowel, and Wi should have c^VwV, depending on
the following vowel.  Given
> > that that vowel is *i, > ihj^i and > ic^iwi.
However, I haven't spotted
> > either form.  If there's a form outside MVS,
this could go in the CSD.

> Correction - IO would have *tw, or > itwi.  So,
it looks like the IO form
> in the 'soft' set is wrong.  That set in the CSD
is probably questionable,
> at least as far as the IO form.
>
> JEK
>
> Actually, I guess it would be *idwi, in the
usual way of writing IO
> unaspirated stops as voiced.  Anyway, it doesn't
seem to exist.