iron/ metal [and other loans and calques]

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Nov 3 21:53:38 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Henning Garvin wrote:
> Sorry, but the archaeologist in me is about to come out.  It is true that
> copper artifacts occur quite frequently in pre-contact times.  But if you
> look at the Old Copper Complex, you see a wide range of utilitarian goods
> being made from copper, so the distribution was not solely restricted to
> personal adornment and items of a spiritual nature.  There is actually a
> number of weapon types that came from this period which have been
> identified.  I really only know this because my capstone class for
> anthrolopogy focused on pre-historic warfare in the midwest region.

Thanks, I appreciate the correction!  I should have said that the only
cases I could (vaguely) recall in conjunction with Oneota and other
Mississippian sites were small "ornamental" items.  I have the impression
that Old Copper Complex is older, though I'm really fairly ignorant of it
- you don't happen to recall the dates and approximate area, do you?