Slight correction -- Osage.

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 20:30:20 UTC 2003

Hi Bob:

I'm wondering what the qualifications would be for working on the Osage project.  I'm not currently in a PhD program (although I plan to apply again for next year), but I am bursting at the seams to do research and work on a Native American language(s).  I'm also interested in doing Winnebago, which John Boyle has suggested to me, but I need to find out how I can go about meeting someone in the tribe(s) to get a foot in the door, so to speak.  Right now I have an MA in Linguistics from San Jos� State in CA, and I am very interested in working with native languages.  (I'm getting ready to take a Hawaiian class now after several years of studying Hawaiian off and on, and I'm also trying to do self-study of Cherokee; this is all in my spare time when not teaching Spanish or doing linguistic transcription for speech synthesis companies!)

I would appreciate whatever info you or anyone else can give me regarding the Osage and Winnebago projects.

(By the way, I'm told that I'm a small part Osage; this is one reason I'm particularly interested in the Osage language!)

Thanks,
David Kaufman
dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com

"Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:

I should have mentioned in my last posting that, after the 26th, the Osages will consider the internal applications they have received and only after that post the job description for an external search if need be.  So it may be a bit longer than this Friday.  Stay tuned.