St. Louis - Pain Court; Ndeck and Other ppahV forms.

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at GBRonline.com
Thu Apr 1 02:58:07 UTC 2004

For what it is worth, I decided to take the discussion to a friend from
Southern France who has done some cultural studies and journeys to the
various tribal communities of the Southern and Northern Plains in the last
few years.  This is what he has to say:

----- Original Message -----
From: Lionel Lacaze
To: Jimm GoodTracks
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: St. Louis?

Ho Jimm !
This sounds very interesting ! Me too I have doubts concerning the "short of
bread" meaning of "Pain Court". It would rather mean the place where they
make small breads , or the place where their bread is "short" because of
lack of baking powder (I don't have the English for "levure" which is what
you put in bread to make it come big as it is goes through oven). Altough I
had already heard about St Louis being called red head town in reference to
William Clark hair, "Pain Court" is new to me. (As well as Misère ?)
("Misère" is great poverty, I don't think the English "Misery" stands for
great poverty ?). Anyway to the French in Canada or southern Louisiana would
sure have been the western frontier in the 1600's and 1700's and life for
white people at these places was sure difficult and "misérable" ("very
poor", "wandering life").
 Lionell: