Tired of Pain Court yet?

Alan Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Sat Apr 3 15:42:12 UTC 2004

Michael Mccafferty wrote:

> As I mentioned a few minutes ago, there are several native "evergreen"
> species in Indiana. What I would imagine for St. Louis is that either the
> area had/has a relict white pine (Pinus albus) or a relict eastern hemlock
> (Tsuga something-or-other)

No eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) or eastern white pine (Pinus
strobus) in Missouri. There is some shortleaf pine (P. echinata)--yeah,
I know, it has the word "short" in it!--in the the SE half of the state,
but not in the St. Louis vicinity (http://plants.usda.gov/).

P. echinata: Noms vernaculaires: pin jaune ; pin doux ; short leaf
yellow pine ; southern yellow pine ; pin à feuilles courtes
(http://membres.lycos.fr/helardot/page_pins/pinus_echinata.htm)

Alan