Sarpy

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 5 22:26:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Koontz John E wrote:
> Anyway, I have noticed that Pierre Abadie a/k/a Peter A.'s middle name
> Abadie (which resembles his mother's maiden name L[']abbadie and is
> probably derived from it) is at least as likely a source of Bac^c^i as
> Jean Baptiste.  It may actually be more plausible, given that we have OP
> Badi'ze for Baptiste elsewhere and given that Abadie is the form that
> actually goes with Peter's known nomenclature.  There is certainly a
> pattern of the Sarpy men using their middle names or nicknames, e.g.,
> (Sylvestre) Delor(d), (Pierre) dit Lestang, (Gregoire) Beral(d),
> (JB)(de)Lille, and so perhaps (Pierre) Abadie or even 'Badie.

Anybody know what the origins of Abadie or Labbadie are?

It occurs to me to wonder how Abadie [abadi'] or [abadsi'] might manifest
with d as c^c^ as in Bac^c^i, while Baptiste/Battiste with (t)t has that
come out as d in Badi'ze.

I was also intrigued that both David and Dorsey should come out with
initial d as dh while final d in David is n (dhawini/a).  In this case the
d's might be from English in all cases - certainly with Dorsey, maybe with
David. I don't know of any further cases of d to dh or n in loanwords.