Need quick Dhegiha answer.

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Fri Apr 9 18:24:40 UTC 2004

For what it's worth, that's what I found at Buechel's:

_oka'blaya_ - peacefully, without obstruction; expanded; plain, level;
freely, as in discoursing; having good luck

So maybe smth like "Okablaya po!" (?)

Alfred

 >I've been contacted by the KS State Historical Society regarding some
way of giving a happy "send-off" to the head of the Kaw Mission historic
site in Council Grove, KS.  I know the guy, and he has worked hard to
bring the Kaw Nation into his site and ensure that they have an
important role to play, so I'd like to help.  Unfortunately I don't have
anything appropriate in Kaw that I can use.

None of you happens to have some sort of term like "good luck" or "best
wishes", do you?  They want something that will fit on top of a cake for
the retirement party.  I can translate from Omaha, Ponca or Osage if you
have anything in one or two words that would be appropriate.  They need
it this afternoon (of course).  I gave them a longer utterance in Kaw
that will fit on a card but not a cake.  "Hau" is not enough.  Maybe "Ho
kkoya!", but if you have something more genuine, I'd appreciate hearing
it.  Thanks!<<