Dakota: verbs with 'hill' involved

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Apr 9 23:53:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, "Alfred W. Tüting" wrote:
> _yahan'_ is inflected maya'han, niya'han etc. (Buechel: "Yunkan wicasa
> wanzila unkcela wan yahan keyapi" - And then they said a cactus stuck
> the man.)
>
> yuN'kxaN - and; also; then
> uNh^ce'la - cactus

Is blahaN or lahaN possible?   This could be considered to be a transitive
verb that requires a third person inanimate subject (that follows the
animate object), but it amounts to an experiencer verb.  I suppose ya is
the mouth instrumental - likening sticking to biting.  Another possibility
would be i 'locative of instrument' + ahaN.  I don't have enough data to
tell yet.  In any event, y here doesn't seem to be epenthetic.