Dakota: verbs with 'hill' involved

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Sat Apr 10 12:43:02 UTC 2004

 >>On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, "Alfred W. Tüting" wrote:

_ahaN'_ - to stand on
... and, of course, _han/he_ - to stand (of many things of appropriate
shapes) e.g. (of a restaurant in Rood's examples): "Ka wiglioinazi kin
hel isakib wanzi HE" (There's one over there, next to the gas station).<<<<

 >(JEK) Definitely cognate with Omaha-Ponca thaN.  And the corresponding
inanimate for is the.  PS *th > Da h and OP th.<<

If I understand correctly, the O-P cognate of Da _haN'/he'_ is animate?
This is interesting, since the Da (modern) form is not(at least with
reference to humans)!

Buechel: "han vn: to stand upright, as of things, to remain, as said of
grass, arrows that strike the ground and stand; also of cattle etc. that
remain or stay in a certain locality. < Hel hanpi s^ke. Tatanka optaye
nunpa he lo There they say is soup. There remain two herds of buffalo>"

With regard to our very topic, it looks like that on an earlier stage
(historical level) _haN'_ still had been used with animates (->
agliyahan etc.).

Alfred