Dakota: verbs with 'hill' involved

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Sun Apr 11 12:55:56 UTC 2004

(AWT)
The former was my first thought too; the latter also seems pretty
plausible, yet, the remaining part (-ahan) as such doesn't seem to
incorporate the idea of 'prick/stick/bite', does it? (Maybe: to stand/be
located on top of smth acute/spiky/'peakish', e.g. like a cactus, and
being pricked BY it???) This interpretation might be grounded in
Buechel's example (wicasa wanzila unkcela wan ...) where the stative
verb obviously has TWO arguments! Shouldn't there be smth creating this
2nd slot, i.e. an instrumental affix _i-_?

(JEK)
Well, Ingham lists ic^a'ma 'to prick' taku' is^ta' ima'kama 'something
pricked me in the eye', which has the 2 object i-locative format,
complicated in the example by possessor raising.

Don't think that it's possessor raising complicating things here - but
smth I found at Buechel that's a bit puzzling :((

1)
_icáma_ adj: rough, as cloth or the beard; pricking (...)
vn: to hurt or prick, as anything in the eye or elsewhere < táku is^tá
imákama Something is hurting my eye > (...)

2)
_icáb_ v contrac of icapa: to stick in < icáb icú to stick in and take
out (...)
_icápa_ v icáwapa [fr _i_ in + capa to stick in]: to stick into, to take
a stitch, to stab with, to stick in, e.g. a thorn or a stick < can
icámapa. Na unma pestola (...) Was^in icapa wacin yelo. A stick stuck
me. And another (...) He tried sticking into the fat. >

Apart from the different pronunciations [icama vs ichab/ichapa], the
former is a stative verb (vn), the latter a (transitive?) active verb
(v), hence the functions of the i-prefixes respective seem to be
different: instrumental (icama) and locative (ichapa).

Chan icha'mapa - a stick has stuck (into) me
Was^in' icha'apa wachin' yelo - he wanted to stick (into) the fat

It seems that all 3 verbs (i.e. yahan vn, icama vn, ichapa v) do not
have direct objects (but objects in locative). Do they have an agent
subject? ichapa obviously has (e.g. chaN - stick). yahaN', as a stative
verb, shouldn't have one (uNh^cela waN - BY a cactus??). And, what's
with icama, classified as a stative verb (vn) as well?! No agent subject
ta'ku? If this is correct, the sentence "ta'ku is^ta'ima'kama" has two
objects, one instrumental (ta'ku), and one in locative (is^ta') - the
latter being related to the -ma- infix for possessor raising. Can it be
that the _i-_, here is double functional, i.e. instrumental plus
locative at the same time?
Pretty puzzling to me!!

 >Sorry - my Hungarian is weak.  It is Hungarian, right?<<

Yes. Sorry on my side, this is a 'geflügeltes Wort' of mine, e.g. of
Hamlet: Lenni vagy nem lenni, ez itt a kérdés (to be or not to be...)

Happy Easter/Pessach to all!

Alfred