Fw: Fw: [Lexicog] new nosey word

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at GBRonline.com
Sun Apr 11 15:27:04 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "LONSKY,JIRI" <jlonsky at ufl.edu>
To: "Jimm GoodTracks" <goodtracks at gbronline.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 3:15 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: [Lexicog] new nosey word

Yes, it is true. Some of our consonants are so called
"syllable-forming", r, l, m; practically their ability to stand in
for a wovel is related to the possibility to hold a length (like
rrrrrrr and llll, while in other consonants this is not possible
(b, p, k, t etc.) These then cannot be syllable forming.
I had an interesting conversation a while ago with a Czech man in
New mexico who brought to my attention close linguistic ties
between the Basque language and Czech. Amazing.
Hope you are well,
Jiri