Linguistic term needed

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Apr 12 17:43:02 UTC 2004

> I believe the term paranomasia fits the bill. At least, that's what I
call
> it my work. This happens occasionally in Native America historically.
I've
> seen a couple of examples in the Midwest.

Thanks, Michael!

Yow!  What a mouthful!

Rory

                      Michael Mccafferty
                      <mmccaffe at indiana.ed        To:       siouan at lists.colorado.edu
                      u>                          cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  Re: Linguistic term needed
                      owner-siouan at lists.c
                      olorado.edu

                      04/12/2004 06:50 AM
                      Please respond to
                      siouan

I believe the term paranomasia fits the bill. At least, that's what I call
it my work. This happens occasionally in Native America historically. I've
seen a couple of examples in the Midwest.

Michael

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:

> Does anybody have a proper linguistic term for the phenomenon
> of borrowing a word from a foreign language in such a way as to
> build a native construction that approximately chimes with the
> phonological sequence of the original?  I've been using "pun",
> but I suspect there's a more appropriate term for it.
>
> Thanks!
> Rory

"Those are my principles.
If you don't like them,