Paronomastics (Re: Linguistic term needed)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 12 22:41:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Wallace Chafe wrote:
> Are these also paronomasia? I've heard that the Oneidas in Wisconsin refer
> to Swedes with the Oneida word for "sweet". And they used to refer to
> Lounsbury with their word for "lunch".

Sounds like they qualify to me.

Miner lists the Winnebago word for rabbit (Was^c^iNk) in his Winnebago
Field Lexicon with the gloss "Wisconsin Rapids."  I think he comments that
there might be a mishearing, but it sounds like either a passing joke or
paronomasia - in essence a form of institutionalized joke.

Another candidate, from Dakota:  yuta 'to eat' for Ute in Buechel, with
the comment, unsupported anywhere I've seen, that the Utes were perhaps
considered to be canibals.

I have a feeling that there are others of these I'm not remembering at the
moment.