Pigs

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Apr 14 21:50:47 UTC 2004

Thanks for the information.

What's interesting, at least to me, about this is that the phonologically
salient part of the French word for pig, "cochon," that would be the
source of these borrowings is /$o~/, not /ku$/ ($ = sh, o~ = nasalized
/o/). Maybe the first Frenchmen who used the word with native folks said
it slowly.

Michael

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, ROOD DAVID S wrote:

> Allan's article was published in Anthropological Linguistics 32
> (1990):187-210.  It's entitled "A European Loanword of Early Date in
> Eastern North America.  He says it's the most wide-spread loanword on the
> continent.
>
> David S. Rood
> Dept. of Linguistics
> Univ. of Colorado
> 295 UCB
> Boulder, CO 80309-0295
> USA
> rood at colorado.edu
>
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Koontz John E wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
> > > It was Allan Taylor at CU.  I don't remember where he published it, but no doubt
> > > someone will.  A large number of us contributed data for it.
> >
> > It is not in the Siouan bib page at
> > http://puffin.creighton.edu/lakota/siouan_language.html that John Boyle
> > maintains.
> >
> > Search the Web with Allan Taylor pig cochon, or consult the MSA annual
> > indexes and/or Bibliographie Linguistique, the last two being the more
> > reliable technique, but not always the fastest.  Allan also has an article
> > on horse terms, I believe.

"Those are my principles.
If you don't like them,
I have others."