Pigs

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Apr 18 22:53:18 UTC 2004

I found it too.  Yes, it is a nice article.  Thanks for
the reference, everybody!

Taylor actually suggests two different etymons: a Dutch
hog call Kus^-kus^kus^, and a dialectal French form of
cocoche or coucouche.  The former version seems to have
first been adopted in (Munsee) Delaware, then by all the
northern Iroquoians, and then passed on to Micmac in the
north and Shawnee in the south.  This is what he calls
the "Northeast" group, which uses /kos(^)kos(^)/ type
forms that he calls "fully reduplicated".

Excluding a New England /piks/ area (Maliseet, Penobscot,
Western Abenaki and Narragansett) just about everything
else south to northern Georgia and Alabama, Tennesee and
Arkansas, west to the eastern Great Plains, and north
clear to the Arctic uses /ko(h)kos(^)(@)/ type forms
which he calls "incompletely reduplicated".  These he
attributes to cocoche or coucouche, but thinks it still
must have been in the form of a hog call, since the
French article doesn't appear in it.

I'm not entirely convinced that there needs to be a
separate original for the incompletely reduplicated forms.
The basic words seem to be the same except that the first
sibilant is lost or degraded.  There seems to be some
evidence of reinterpretation of the reduplication:
Winnebago has something like xkuuxkuis^e, with an
additional fricative tacked onto the front (perhaps
because it didn't like reduplicating syllables that
ended in a consonant?)  And Iowa/Oto had two forms
recorded: gohgo%a and an archaic go%go%a (here I'm
using % for thorn, which is what *s turned into in IO).
Perhaps the fully reduplicated form is the original
international form, and the incompletely reduplicated
form is due to native reformatting, plus later
influence from French cocoche?

Rory

                      Michael Mccafferty
                      <mmccaffe at indiana.ed        To:       siouan at lists.colorado.edu
                      u>                          cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  Re: Pigs
                      owner-siouan at lists.c
                      olorado.edu

                      04/18/2004 11:04 AM
                      Please respond to
                      siouan

Right. Found and read the article. Nice article.

The Central Algonquian borrowing appears to have come from what Taylor
terms a "simplex" form of "cochon"--"coche," and then he suggests that the
borrowing came directly from a French pig call in the form of "co-coche".
I don't know about that but I've sent out the question to native
informants. (Species not specified)

Michael

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, R. Rankin wrote:

> I don't think kkokko$a, etc. are based directly on "cochon".  A more
colloquial
> reduplicated form is favored.
>
> Bob

Boyle