Pigs

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Apr 19 13:16:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:

> I found it too.  Yes, it is a nice article.  Thanks for
> the reference, everybody!
>
> Taylor actually suggests two different etymons: a Dutch
> hog call Kus^-kus^kus^, and a dialectal French form of
> cocoche or coucouche.

Problem is, cocoche or coucouche, or even coche appear to be unattested.
"Cochon" is the French term. There's also an old term for a coach gate at
a castle or manor house "porte-cochere". Here "porte" is "door". However,
a modern French speaker would probably interpret that "porte" as "carry".
So, "porte-cochere," just "portefeuille" or "portemanteau" sounds like
something that carries pigs. Pig humor.

This message segues into the round-up of pig calls known in French Canada.

Michael