just to make a pig's ear of it

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Mon Apr 19 15:21:54 UTC 2004

Folks:

In response to Michael's message - in Yorkshire, /ku4/, where $ is the postalveolar sibilant, is a call heard on farms, but is used for summoning cows rather than pigs!

Anthony

>>> mmccaffe at indiana.edu 19/04/2004 14:23:25 >>>
This is from Robert Vezina, an expert in New World French.

Le cri pour appeler le cochon... Au Québec, il a y traditionnellement
plusieurs de ces cris, mais je ne crois pas qu'il y ait qqchose comme co-coche
(
The cry for calling pigs...In Quebec, there are several of these cries
traditionally, but I don't believe there's anything like "co-coche"

On a kyo-kyo-kyo (le plus fréquent, je crois) et kyok-kyok. Aussi : kya-kya-
kya. Aussi : kyak-kyak. Aussi : kyou-kyou-kyou (assez fréquent). Dans quelques
localités, on crie : kyouche-kyouche, ou : kyouk-kyouk. Aussi : tou-tou-tou.
Il en reste d'autres, mais plus marginaux.

There is kyo-kyo-kyo (the most common, I think) and kyok-kyok. Also: kya-kya-
kya. And: kyak-kyak. Also: kyou-kyou-kyou (rather frequent). In a few places,
they shout: kyouche-kyouche, or: kyouk-kyouk. Also: tou-tou-tou. There are
some others but they are more marginal.