Pigs

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Apr 19 17:35:45 UTC 2004

Yes, I'll get around to that, Bob. In the meantime, I've checked six
French dictionaries covering the time from 1606 to 1835, and there's
nothing that shows up for "coche" with the meaning of "pig". I'd begun to
think, so I'm so not just beginning to think, that Taylor devised the
"coche" = "pig" thing because it made things easy to explain. But the jury
is still out.

Michael

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Rankin, Robert L wrote:

> The French linguistic atlas (ALF) is the place to look.

"Those are my principles.
If you don't like them,
I have others."

-Groucho Marx