horse paper

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Apr 21 23:54:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 jschudli at indiana.edu wrote:
> So horses are "dogs" and actual canine type dogs are "real dogs". I'm sure
> there are other introduced items that follow the same pattern as well, but I
> can't dredge them up from memory at the moment.

OP:  tta' 'deerlike animal'  ('ruminant' is the fancy gloss)
     tta'=xti 'deer' = 'real deer'

     PpaN'kka 'Ponca'
     PpaN'kka=xti 'subclan of one of the Ponca clans' = 'real Poncas'

     (I think there are some other lexicalized =xti 'real' forms, but I'm
      forgetting them.)

     A similar pattern:

     ni'kkas^iNga 'person' (historically 'little person'?)
     ni'kkas^iNga ukke'dhiN (kk?) 'Indian' = 'common variety of person'

     wa(a)'xe 'whiteman'
     wa(a)'xe ukke'dhiN (kk?) 'Frenchman' = 'common variety of whiteman'