Horse Forms (Re: horse paper)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 22 06:21:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:
> I believe Winnebago uses the 'big dog' form too.  Perhaps the two
> versions were just alternate qualifiers in the northern MVS languages
> early on, with one form or the other eventually becoming standard.

I'll skip Dakotan, which Rory and Linda have handled pretty well.

>>From Miner and from Good Tacks:

WI s^uNuN'k 'dog; horse'
   s^uNuN(k)xe'de 'horse' = 'big dog'

IO suN(uN)'<ng>e ~ suN(uN)'<ny>e 'dog; horse'
   s. ukhe'<ny>iN 'dog' = 'ordinary dog'

Recall that IO has s^ > s (with some attestations of s^), and that VNke >
ukke'dhiN, both with the sense 'common, ordinary'.

>>From Rankin, Dorsey, and LaFlesche:

OP s^aN'ge 'horse'
   Kkawa'ha [man's name, meaning unknown, INs^ta'saNda clan]
     (Might be 'horse' or 'horsehide', cf. ha' 'skin'.)
   s^i'nudaN 'dog'

I forget the explanation the CSD editors noted for the OP 'dog'
term.

KS s^oN'ge 'horse'
   kkawa'e ~ kkawa'ye 'horse'
   s^oN'ge o'yuda ~ s^oN'giida 'dog'
     (cf. oyu'daN 'to pull on, rein in, restrain')
OS hka'wa 'horse'
   s^oN'ke 'dog'
QU s^oN'ke 'dog' (and in compounds referring to horse-related things)
   ??? horse

Personally, I think the kkawa... forms stem from Wichita kawaarah, rather
than directly from Spanish caballo.  It is true that the Spanish
controlled St. Louis for a period, but most direct contact in that period
was in the hands of francophones.  The horses were obtained from the
Wichita at an early period.

Hollow:

MA miNniNs 'horse; dog'  (cf. miNniNs^ 'folded up; rolled up'?)
   miNniNsweruta 'dog' = 'dog-shit-eat'

Everyday Crow and Matthews:

CR bishkakaa'she, bishke' 'dog' (first is 'real dog', wi. kaa'she 'real')
   iichi'ile 'horse'
   iichi'ilikaashe 'elk' = 'real horse'

HI mas^uka 'dog'
   ped=akuduti 'dog' = 'shit-eater'
   icuas^uka, itas^uka 'horse'

The second Hidatsa dog term compares well with the Mandan term for
indicating a dog to the exclusion of a horse.

The first Hidatsa horse form was explained by some in Matthews' day as
icumas^uka 'strong dog', presumably appealing to icii 'strong', but
compare icii with the Crow 'elk' word.  (Hidatsa has madoka 'elk'.)  The
second Hidatsa form looks like 'his-alienable-dog', cf. archaic Dakotan
thas^uNke 'his horse'.

The Crow-Hidatsa forms show the original 'beast' prefix *wi- (analogized
to *wa in Hidatsa).

I won't try to tackle the Southeastern forms for the moment.  I think for
present purposes Plains Algonquian, Comanche, Kiowa, and Plains Apache
might be more to the point.