Bilingual paronomasia

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Apr 22 07:13:28 UTC 2004

>> Wally wrote:
>>> Are these also paronomasia? I've heard that the Oneidas in Wisconsin
>> refer
>>> to Swedes with the Oneida word for "sweet". And they used to refer to
>>> Lounsbury with their word for "lunch".
>>
>> It sounds like this is even more complicated.  First they
>> applied paronomasia to conceptually translate the foreign
>> name into English, and then they calqued that English pun
>> into their own language.
>>
>> Rory
I don't know if any of you read the novels of Patrick O'Brian, particularly
the Jack Aubrey novels, but in the last one I read the hero Jack Aubrey is
captured by the Americans (could it be worse?) I imagine in the war of 1812.
And someone in Boston informs another character that the phrase 'it cuts no
ice with me' is from the Iroquois (it)katsno aissvizmi meaning 'I am not
impressed'.  It seemed amusing. Anyone know if this is true?
Bruce

Bruce Ingham
Professor of Arabic Dialect Studies
SOAS.  London University