Bilingual paronomasia

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 22 17:05:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Bruce Ingham wrote:
> I don't know if any of you read the novels of Patrick O'Brian, particularly
> the Jack Aubrey novels, but in the last one I read the hero Jack Aubrey is
> captured by the Americans (could it be worse?) I imagine in the war of 1812.
> And someone in Boston informs another character that the phrase 'it cuts no
> ice with me' is from the Iroquois (it)katsno aissvizmi meaning 'I am not
> impressed'.  It seemed amusing. Anyone know if this is true?

My impression when I read it was that O'Brian made it up, and that part of
the humor, whether for him or for us, was to foist this misinformation
with, as it were, a straight face.  A principle O'Brian employed to some
extent in life as well as art.  For example, he wasn't Irish as he claimed
to be.

I don't think the phonology works for Iroquoian, anyway, though v is
sometimes used for a nasal vowel.