horse paper

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 22 19:45:39 UTC 2004

Not sure what you mean by 'same source'; they both contain PA */elen-/
'ordinary, real'. However, they contain different finals: Illinois
/irenweewa/ 'he speaks Illinois, speaks one's language' contains /-(i)wee-/,
a 'by speech' final, while Illinois /ireniwa/ 'man' (< PA */elenyiwa/)
appears to be a very old construction meaning something like 'real being,
ordinary being'.

Dave

Thanks for the clarification, I missed the article (looking for it today),
it does appear,  though, that  they both connect back to same source?

Alan K